Here’s some great advice from my friend Kate at Digital Marketing Momma...
Do you want to blog for your business, but can’t find the time to sit down and write?
Almost everyone I know who runs their own business struggles with the same thing. Writing content.
- What to write about
- Finding time to write it
- Getting people to read it and share it
We all face this. Even if you love to write, it can difficult!
I came across this post the other day from Huffington Post and I wanted to share why this type of content and blog strategy is brilliant and a great way to get content out there quickly.
This was posted on August 24, 2016.
Stephen Colbert Has Finally Figured Out Hillary Clinton’s Illness
To date this post has been shared, 2.8k times and the actual youtube video that was posted by The Late Show With Stephen Colbert was viewed 1,232,310 times. WOW!
Here’s what I love about this post.
- The author focused on a very trending, hot topic at the moment. Hillary Clinton’s health during this wacky election. This has been all over the news lately and all the media outlets are obsessing over it. So, his choice of topic was spot on for what’s happening now.
- The content is obviously of interest since it’s being shared and “liked”.
- It probably didn’t take him that long to write it up.
Here’s how you can do this in your own business to post great content at lightening speed. Hate to write? There are ways to make it not so awful!
First you need some inspiration to write about.
Step 1: Start by asking yourself these questions:
- Is there anything trending online that’s relevant to your audience? I use an amazing online tool to help me with this. It’s called BuzzSumo. Totally worth my monthly investment. I use it every day!
- Is there an upcoming event that your audience needs to know about?
- Is there a product launch that could enhance your products or services that you offer?
- Did a celebrity jump on board with an endorsement or cause that’s relevant to your business?
Step 2: Go on YouTube and do a search for videos that will help/educate/anger/empower/ease/bring laughter to your audience.
Do a search for your topic/industry/idea and see what shows up first. Find a video that’s from a credible source. TIP: Don’t post a video by someone that could be considered your competitor… Just sayin’
Step 3: Write a short, easy blog about the video.
Tell your audience your thoughts on the video. Give them your opinion. It doesn’t have to be a novel. Just tell them what you are thinking. Add in your expertise and wisdom. Tell them what to do with the content. Share how it can benefit them.
Step 4: Embed the Video on Your Blog Post.
Make sure to cite the source of the video and relevant content. You can see I’ve done it in this post. Give credit where credit is due! You could even go a step further and tag the author and media outlet in your own social media.
Now your turn . . . What’s the hardest part writing blog posts for you? Please share in the comments below. Also, if you need help with content creation or strategy, reach out. We LOVE to come up with plans!