Behind the Seens with Holland Saltsman, owner of The Novel Neighbor bookstore
Learn how independent bookstores have managed to survive during the Covid crisis and how they are navigating their most important season – the holidays – this year. Also here’s how you can support indie bookstores no matter where you live – and look like a great gift-giver, too!
Here are some highlights:
Secrets of success during CoVid during “the past 6 months”
– Online ordering was key
– Facebook LIVE to showcase products / non-book merch
– Doubling down on “merch” and local vendors
– Finding customers around the country
– Private appointments and shopping
– Pivot in-store events to virtual events
– MYSTERY BOXES! Personalized customer shopping service
– Local collaborations and partnerships
How can we support indie (local) bookstores right now and through the holidays?
– Order online
– Give gift cards
– Be “bossy” tell people you want to support local
– Buy mystery boxes
– Private shopping with your pod
– Schedule personalized shopping (We talk about our sister Ashley here!)
How does BookShop.org work to support indie booksellers and beyond? An alternative to Amazon that supports indie bookstores around the country
– Use a “bookshop.org” link to share links for books
– Authors should use this link on their book pages
– Anyone can set up a “storefront” on BookShop.org – and get affiliate revenue
– Major media publishers are working with BookShop.org too
What are the indie bookseller plans for the holidays?
– Novel November perks and surprises for shopping in November
– Any shoppers qualify for goodies and free subscriptions.
– Personal pod shopping
– Virtual personal shopping – we talk about Ashley again here – think wine in front of your computer where Holland does the shopping for you!
– Again, think mystery boxes!
– Shop early – after December 15, nothing is guaranteed to arrive by Christmas
What does 2021 and beyond look like?
– Working on new, more user-friendly website
– More virtual events – like Abby Wombach, Jimmy Fallon and R. L. Stine
– Virtual Book Fairs
– Surviving even thriving without having to ask for donations or charity from customers and community
– Let’s keep being nice – we are all tired!
Current Book Recommendations?
Pappyland: A Story of Family, Fine Bourbon, and the Things That Last
Notes from a Young Black Chef
Isaiah Dunn Is My Hero
The Once and Future Witches
The Invisible Life of Addie Larue
What are you waiting for? Go give great books and gifts! Follow The Novel Neighbor on:
– Instagram at @novelneighbor
– Facebook (Live on Friday mornings)
– check out their website
– Email them at firstname.lastname@example.org
If you want to learn more about how to be seen, be found, be heard, please connect with me on the socials or let’s set up a call to chat.