Let’s go “Behind the Seens” with Alexandra Jamieson and Bob Gower, co-authors of the recently launched book, Getting to Hell Yes! The Conversations That Will Change Your Business and The Rest of Your Life and my go-to branding expert and project partner, Vicky Vitarelli of The Organized Brand.
Vicky and I had great time working with Alex and Bob and were excited that they were able to share how they decided to write and ultimately publish their book.
(sorry for the wonky image – darn Facebook – but video works fine)
Theirs is not the typical publishing story.
Alex and Bob knew that to get their book Getting to Hell Yes! into as many hands as possible, the ultimate goal, it was going to be necessary to find new ways to brand, publish and market their first joint project together.
The premise of their book is that it provides a 4-part conversation structure and teaches you how to talk about emotional or highly charged topics in an easy non-confrontational way. It’s a tool they use and teach. They received so many requests for the guidelines that they began writing up what was first imagined as a simple Word document to share with clients and friends.
It then became clear that this should be a book and a resource. The goal: as many people as possible benefitting from having better conversations.
They intentionally made the book short and concise. You can read it in about 90 minutes or so. That was deliberate so that people are empowered to learn the system and then use it. It’s meant to be a practical resource that’s used often.
Don’t miss these great insights on their journey to Getting to Hell Yes! launch:
- Hear how Bob and Alex decided to make this book come to life. The early decisions and the method for getting it into as many hands as possible.
- Vicky shares how they figured out what the brand could be and how that was decided.
- The branding process explained. Both Bob and Alex have personal brands and the new brand is resonating with both audiences which was the goal, but at first it was hard to see how to make that happen.
- Bob shares the back story about how they created their avatar for the book.
- Find out why “taking it home” was so important to the authors.
- How to “Chicken Soup for the Soul” the message and framework. This is huge!
- Hear how they determined what success with this book would look like.
- The title Getting to Hell Yes! was strategic and they explain it in the book. A smart strategy!
- Why they decided to offer this for FREE!
- The (un)expected bonus from more people and companies knowing Alex and Bob as a result of launching the book.
- Why a big launch wasn’t the goal and why longevity was the driving decision behind the website components and the free download idea.
This was such a fun project because it allowed for some out-of-the-box thinking and approaches to book marketing. It also proved there are a myriad of ways to plan, execute and measure the success of your book launch when you are clear about your message, your audience and your goals!
To learn more about Alex, Bob, and Getting To Hell Yes!, check out these these resources mentioned in the interview, and download your FREE Getting To Hell Yes! copy today!