Earlier this month, I spoke at 341 Studios about “Social Media Marketing for Business” where I shared top trends, tools and tricks to help small business make the most of their social media marketing with an audience of small business professionals. It turned out to be a lively discussion, instead of a presentation! We covered the top social media platforms and strategies for making time for social media marketing.
Here are some of the “secrets” we discussed:
1. Choose 1 or 2 platforms and use them well: Be where your clients will be. Don’t try to be everywhere.
2. Each platform has its own language: Try to customize content (tone, text and images) for each platform.
4. Use monitors to listen: Set up alerts to email you when your brand name or company are mentioned on the web. www.socialmention.com and www.google.com/alert are great listening tools. Also, follow keywords and hashtags related to your business.
5. Automate promotion of your blog posts via email and social media: WordPress assigns a special email address to post by email, or you can use RSS feed-based campaigns with your email program to get your blog posts out in a timely manner.
6. Work ahead, schedule some posts in advance: You don’t HAVE to start your social media efforts from scratch every day, but always be ready to adjust to unexpected world and local events. Your social media cannot be entirely run on autopilot.
7. Set time aside to engage and make sure your content is easily sharable: Don’t forget the social in social media! Make it a conversation, not a billboard.
8. Take advantage of mobile: Your ability to interact quickly to mentions or posts can boost your brand and grow your audience.
What are your secrets for successful social media management? Please share them in the comments below. Interested in more tips and news, please sign up for my monthly newsletter and follow me (@sheesalt) on Twitter.
An original version of this piece appeared on 341 blog.